Friday, November 25, 2011

High Elves vs Orcs and Goblins 11/15

[b]High Elves vs Orcs and Goblins[/b]

I didn't really want to play a pitched battle as I've played it about 10 times in a row. However I don't really like the auto win scenarios so we rolled up watch tower and used some in house rules. Everything is the same was Watchtower except claiming it isn't an auto win its only an additional 500 VP and you can't start a unit in the tower. (not even scouts)

Same list as before for the High Elves
I roll up , 5++ spell, Fury of khaine, flames, vauls for my lvl 4 and pick enchanted blades and final transmutation on my lvl 2.

Orcs and Goblin list;
Hero general (black orc?) 5+, 4++
Lvl 4 Savage Orc Shaman, 5++ save to savage unit item
BSB night goblin 5+,5++
Night goblin shaman lvl 2
Night goblin shaman lvl 2, scroll
50-60 night goblin spears, 3 fanatics
49 savage orcs
25-30 black orcs
30 night goblin archers
2 manglar squigs
giant

(he normally runs a doom diver and a catapult but he wanted to play his giant this game)
I don't even know what all his spells were called I'm not 100% use to the new O&G yet. The spells I can remember were 3d6 str 3, foot, vortex thing, itchy nuisance, poison spell, teleport a unit.

Deployment

Photobucket

His left to right is; night gobo spears with lvl 2 and bsb, savage orcs with his lvl 4, black orcs with his hero general, night gobo archers with a lvl 2, manglar, manglar, giant. My deployment left to right is. Eagle, 10 archers, bolt thrower, bolt thrower, 30 archers with lvl 2 and bsb, 30 white lions with prince, 14 archers with lvl 4, bolt thrower, eagle.

I finished dropping first and have the skiensliver. I rolled a 6 equaling 8 and he didn't bother rolling. :)

HE turn 1
I advance the eagles up the flanks. The eagle on the right drawing out his 2 fanatics killing my eagle. One of the fanatics hit the trees though and popped. The white lions advance to the building waiting to jump in next turn. All other archer units advance a bit mostly to get all my 24" range spells in range. Magic sees a flames of the phoenix go off on his savage orcs. I hate manglare squigs! So two furies of khaine and a bolt thrower later kills both of them. He passes all panic tests. I do a wound to the giant with the 14 archers.

Photobucket

OG turn 1
His night goblin spears fail animosity and exchange blows with the savage orcs stopping both in their tracks. The archers advance and the giant does as well. He gets poison on his archers and a nasty large template vortex targeting my toughness. He kills 5 or 6 archers and 5 white lions.

Photobucket

HE turn 2
My eagle flies past his spears stopping 8" away to draw out his 3 fanatics on the left flank they all roll 7 or less so the eagle takes no wounds!. Lions jump in the building. The lvl 4 jumps in the back of the lions first though, so she goes with them. In the magic phase he forgot about flames and it goes off again on the savage orcs doing about 10 wounds! Yeah! I didn't get a lot of power dice though so I did some wounds to the giant and didn't have enough to stop his silly vortex and it flew through my archers. Shooting sees some fanatics dye and the giant only having 1 wound left. I know fanatics don't give up VP's but I hate them running through my lines going all crazy.

Photobucket

OG turn 2
His Archer unit fails animosity this time but roll a 6. They move forward 4" and declare a charge on my 14 man archer unit. The giant also charges needing a 5 on 2d6 and fails on snake eyes. Everything else marches up. I'm sure he gets a spell or two off but nothing game changing and also dispels flames of the phoenix this time. He beats my archers by 2 and we fail a ld 8 test and book it. We were about 2" out of bsb range. The archer get run down.

Photobucket

HE turn 3
I reposition the eagle and small archer unit to prepare for a charge the next turn. Everything else stays put. I Final transmutation the savage orcs and kill quit a bit and don't snipe the lvl 4. Shooting sees me kill the giant and whittle down some more savage orcs. I also kill a couple of gobo archers and the last fanatic. Got all the nasty little gremlins out of the way now I just have to worry about getting blocks characters and holding the building.

Photobucket

OG turn 3
He swift reforms the savage orcs and tries to hide them behind the building and get the black orcs in the thick of things. He's only down to about 16 savage orcs and the lvl 4 now. The night goblin spears advance. The night goblin archers reform to stare down my bolt thrower. No significant magic. He does a wound to my bolt thrower with shooting.

Photobucket

HE turn 4
I rear and flank charge the large unit of spears to maybe tie them up a turn or two to keep them off of my large archer unit. Magic blows up the savage orcs again. I think there is 4 left with the lvl 4 in there. Shooting kills some gobo archers and maybe a savage orc or two. Combat I win and he stays. both of us killing 2 or 3. Those damn netters made me str 2. Annoying little buggers.

Photobucket

OG turn 4
He charges the bolt thrower with his archers. He charges the white lion building with his black orcs. The savage orcs start running away to conserve points. Magic has nothing note worthy. No shooting. I think this time his spears win by one but my eagle and archers are 9 re-roll and stick. We both kill a ton in the building fight I forget who wins but regardless I stay in the building. He only does a wound to the bolt thrower and I stay on like a 3 or 4! ;)

Photobucket

HE turn 5
My bsb charges out of the large archer unit to wizard and bsb snipe... I roll a 3 needing a 4... sigh (this bsb was epic fail the last 2 turns) Prince jumps out of the building to help with res on the spearmen unit. I magic the black orcs killing some. Combat sees him finally killing my bolt thrower and reforming. He does a wound to the eagle and kills some more archers. I think now their both re-roll 7 and they both make it. The prince and BSB really helped these guys out.

Photobucket

OG turn 5
His gobo archers fail animosity and surge forward charging the building needing like an 11. They fail their charge. The black orcs charge the building again. His lvl 4 jumps out of the savage orcs and they march further away. Magic sees some massive damage go to my archer unit and him teleporting his last 4 savage orcs to the corner of the board. In combat he wins again in the spear unit combat. My eagle holds and my last archer musician runs away. Probably the best thing that could have happened there. Black orcs and white lions chop each other to pieces again but he bounces off.

Photobucket

HE turn 6
I charge the prince and bsb into the spears. My lone archer musician keeps fleeing but stays on the board. I reform my archer unit to point at his goblin archer unit. I final transmutation the archers. Mainly to get them stupid since they are only ld 5. This is to keep them from making me panic or killing something on his turn 6. He stops all other spells. My bsb has itchy nuisance on him and is In 2. So I loose my re-rolls and throw my 3 attacks on his lvl 2. I get 3 1's. ugh. My prince kills a 3 or 4 and so does the eagle. I win combat but he stays. I also declared a challenge with my prince and he declined so I got rid of the bsb attacks for a while.

Photobucket

OG turn 6
He charges the building again with his black orcs. His night goblin archers fail stupidity and can't do anything. The lvl 4 miscasts on a spell and rolls an 8 so I get to try to do a wound with a str 6 hit. I roll a 1... Damn lvl 2 is invincible! My bsb whiffs all his attack on the lvl 2 again... I was really hoping my noble with a GW could kill a ws 3, t 3, and 2 wound, no save model. I was wrong. My prince and eagle kill some more. I finally break him. He rolls an 11 and the eagle and prince get a 9 and 4 respectfully. At least I snag his bsb this way. The black orcs go back into the building. He brings in his general this time hoping to completely clear out the building so he can hop in it for the win. I however throw half my attacks at him and smash him before he swings back. He only has 6 black orcs left after all my swings. It's worth noting I only have 7 lions and the lvl 4 left in the building. He kills the lvl 4 and 3 or 4 white lions. We stick though and the game ends.

Photobucket

We totaled up victory points and it was a draw. I won because of the + 500 points for the building. The reason this game was such a nail biter though was of how many expensive units only had like 5 models left. Black orcs had 6 guys left, savage orcs had 4 left, archers had like 10 left, spears had a lot left but should have been run down by the eagle and prince. My lions only had 3 guys left in the building. One or two dice rolls different and one of us could have had a massacre.

After the game I got to thinking about it and I personally think I deployed very averagely. Not a bad set up but I definitely would have did it differently a second time around. All and all a really great game that made me think the whole time. Hope you enjoy the write up.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment